MacroCarbon is a Gran Canaria based start-up aiming to develop innovative seaweed aquafarming and process techniques for sustainable feedstocks for the chemical industry. If you are passionate about doing something to solve the climate crisis, join us to defossilize the chemical industry and reach net zero.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Lead efforts to cultivate Sargassum in aquafarms – We need someone to design, plan and execute the research efforts to learn how to grow Sargassum in a floating aquafarm. This research will lead to a world first domesticated floating Sargassum farming system.
- Model the impact of environmental conditions on Sargassum – We want to develop a model to understand the best conditions for Sargassum growth. We need someone that is familiar with algal growth and decay monitoring techniques and can plan multistressor experiments.
- Mentoring interns and teaching them new techniques for seaweed cultivation and productivity monitoring.
- Identify other species for potential commercialization – We want to understand how to utilize a range of seaweed species for different climatic areas and applications.
What You’ll Need:
- A Ph.D. in marine biology or related field
- Knowledge of the marine environment: carbon and nutrient cycling in the ocean and monitoring techniques (eg. stable isotopes, oxygen measurements, PAM..etc)
- Preferably some background or research with macroalgae (but it’s not required)
- Excellent communication skills in both Spanish and English.
- Experience in analysing and publishing scientific datasets.
- Good presentation skills.
- Experience coordinating or tutoring students.
- A willingness to learn and be flexible. We’re building something new, so things are going to change.
- Be willing to help with other projects, like setting up the aquafarms.
- A willingness to be a self-starter and work independently.
- Location is Taliarte-Las Palmas Gran Canaria, Spain.
- Willingness to travel.
Why Work With Us?
We’re a fun and inclusive team spread across Europe (Spain, UK and Germany) that values diversity and collaboration. We want to make a real impact on climate change and sustainability. We provide competitive compensation, flexible work schedules, and opportunities for growth and development.